Pedestrian Accidents Attorneys
According to the Mayo Clinic, walking is one of the healthiest activities people can enjoy. Walking can help you maintain a healthy weight, improve your mood, and prevent diseases. Unfortunately, pedestrians are much less protected than individuals traveling in cars, buses, and other modes of transportation. This means that accidents involving pedestrians and other travelers can be extremely serious, and sometimes deadly. If you are involved in a pedestrian accident, you should immediately seek medical attention for your injuries. Many injuries take hours or even days to manifest. After seeking medical attention, you should contact Statesman Law Group for a free case review and to learn about your rights to compensation for the harm and damages caused by the accident.
Pedestrian Accident Statistics
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) reports that, in 2015, 5,376 pedestrians were killed and approximately 70,000 pedestrians were injured in traffic crashes in the United States. Shockingly, this means that, on average, a pedestrian is killed every 1.6 hours and injured every 7.5 minutes in crash-related pedestrian accidents. The NHTSA also reports that:
- In 2015, pedestrian deaths accounted for 15 percent of all traffic fatalities
- In 2015, more than one-fifth (21%) of the children 14 and younger killed in traffic crashes were pedestrians
- 70 percent of the pedestrians killed in traffic crashes in 2015 were males
- Alcohol was involved in 48 percent of fatal pedestrian accidents.
- More than two-thirds (70%) of the pedestrians killed in traffic crashes in 2015 were males
Common Pedestrian Accident Injuries
The average car weighs over two tons and can cause great damage to a human body even at slow speeds. As a result, pedestrian car accident victims are often killed or sustain catastrophic injuries, such as:
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Head trauma
- Bone fractures
- Spinal cord injuries
- Amputation injuries
- Internal organ damage
- Soft tissue injuries
As you can see, pedestrian accidents can cause tremendous physical pain that lasts for years. They also generate incredibly expensive hospital and medical bills. We advise you to hire a personal injury lawyer as soon as possible after an accident to help guide you through the legal process. Your attorney will help you seek the proper medical treatment, negotiate with the responsible parties, and ensure you are compensated for your injuries.
Common Causes of Pedestrian Accidents
Negligent motor vehicle operation is the most common cause of pedestrian accidents and injuries. Therefore, pedestrians should always assume drivers do not see them. Other than negligent driving, the top causes of pedestrian accidents are:
- Drunk driving
- Drivers ignoring a red light or stop sign
- Drivers making turns without checking for pedestrians
- Distracted driving, such as driving while texting
- Drivers failing to yield right-of-way at marked crosswalks
- Cars in reverse
- Cars exiting parking lots
- Pedestrian traveling on streets instead of sidewalks
- Cars turning left across an intersection
How Statesman Law Group Can Help
How you behave after a pedestrian accident can impact the strength of your claim. It is best to call a lawyer as soon as possible after an accident so they can make sure you don’t accidentally sabotage your ability to recover compensation for your injuries. If you are injured in a pedestrian accident, consider adhering to the following guidelines:
- Make sure you stay calm and move yourself to a safe location to evaluate your injuries and physical well-being.
- Seek medical attention immediately regardless of whether you think you have not sustained any injuries. Internal injuries may still have occurred.
- Call the police. The police will help the pedestrian remain safe at the scene, call an ambulance if necessary, and gather information of about the accident including witnesses.
- Gather the driver’s insurance information, driver’s license, vehicle license plate number.
- Take photographs of the car and the scene of the accident. If you have not sought medical attention through the ER, it is still important to be evaluated by a primary care physician.
- Contact Statesman Law Group for a free case review.
Statesman Law Group was created to maximize the compensation our clients receive for their pedestrian accident injuries. We invite you to contact us for a free case review and learn more about the services we offer.